 Administrative / General / 1776
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:49:27 GMT

Hi Todd
I saw today your oops gif on ebay and thought its a good step. you might
consider adding to the gif under the sad face:
unauthorized  direct links to lugnet images is prohibited use of our bandwidth
please connect using(insert your url here)
Or other words to that effect.
The impression I got when seeing the image was that  something happened on the
server that the image wasnt available (re 404 file not found error from
Netscape) rather than a message saying ...someone is misusing my "paid for"
band width and I would like you to stop.
Just my perception here from the ebay buyers side

John

P.S. Thanks for all the work you do maintaining Lugnet. I no longer feel alone
in the adult world of Lego® <grin>

I took David's suggestion of displaying a placeholder image in lieu of a
broken image link.  But I made it a simple static image, 200x200 pixels.
The image depicts a sad face and gives a URL to go to for more information:

   http://www.lugnet.com/oops.gif
   http://www.lugnet.com/oops.html

Above all, I want to do whatever is reasonably possible to stamp out these
bad links.  Stamping them out completely is -- I believe -- technically
impossible.  But they can certainly be reduced.

My desire (long term) is to slowly educate people who use the system either
directly or indirectly.  Once someone has seen the sad yellow face and has
read the information on page it refers to, they never again need to pay
close attention to that image if/when they see it -- they'll just know that
the creator of the page they're viewing is doing something wrong, and each
such viewing will reinforce in their mind that linking directly to images on
other peoples' servers is a bad thing.

--Todd