 Administrative / General / 1785
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 22:29:52 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
[...]
In a fairly bitchy little way.  :)
[...]
Hrmmmm, assumptions, relying on ignorance, and multiple wrongs
possibly making a right, all roled into one.  :)
[...]
That's the only really legitimate thing I think he said, and you can
solve that easily, as you have done.
[...]
Tough.  Like he's important enough to rate a private e-mail message
letting him know he's doing something he shouldn't be doing.  Just
like most young people today, especially most college students -
arrogantly convinced that they are or should be important enough to
everyone else to rate special consideration in all matters.
[...]
Ridiculous.
[...]
So, in other words, he's an ignorant fool who hasn't bothered to learn
about the places that eBay itself will steer its users to when they
need space for images.

I agree with all of the above (in principle); those were some of my first
thoughts as well.  But like I said before, "All of these [gripes of his] are
tangible concerns which are likely to resurface again and again among the
general Internet community."  By "tangible" I mean that they are capable of
being perceived, identified, or realized by the mind.  Even if I disagree
with his views, I must acknowledge mentally that they are probably somewhat
common.  And that makes it a "real" issue to deal with going forward.  (Not
a big one, mind you, but one to keep in mind.)

From my point of view, it's good that he vented like this rather than having
kept his gripes to himself.  True, something more civil would have more
constructive, but I do enjoy a good rant/vent from someone once in a while,
as it represents a much more candid peek into their mind and more realistic
look at the (pick one: irrational, illogical, uneducated, unwashed, or
simply different) way that people sometimes view things.

--Todd