 Administrative / General / 1757
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:02:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, James Brown writes:
Wow... head spinning here, thinking about this. Isn't this just about
the same bandwidth load? Only lightening is that some people won't click
on the link, so the image won't be served up. Any thoughts on what %
"some" is in the above sentence?

It may be that there is little bandwidth change in the long run (I have
_no_ idea about the numbers here), but the point is that people can't link
directly to the file.  This way, someone looking at Joe Blow's Lego Auction
does not automatically cause a bandwidth drain on LUGnet - they have to
follow a link, (which they may or may not do) which puts them onto LUGnet,
and means that LUGnet's bandwidth is only being used for LUGnet.

At least, that's how I understand it.(1)

Yup -- that's the idea.  There is also another reason:  Linking to the HTML
page currently just happens to plop up whatever size JPEG image happens to
reside in the DB.  But it doesn't have to be that way -- many of the images
are 100+ KB, which not only makes the pages load unnecessarily slowly for
many people, but makes throws a monkey wrench into the physical layout of
the page.  What -should- be displayed is a ~200x200 pixel, ~20 KB image
which you can click on to get a larger image if you don't recognize the set
from that smaller image or if you want to see more detail.

So taking this into consideration, and considering that probably 1/2 or more
of people don't need to follow a link to see what a set looks like each time
they visit someone's auction on eBay, it ought to cut down on the bandwidth
quite considerably in the long run.

1:so, would this be a 'principle' or a 'utility' argument, Larry? ;)

Hey, that sounds to me like both -- or 80% utility, 20% principle.  :)

--Todd