 Administrative / General / 1746
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 23:57:55 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I just happened across a couple unauthorized links from eBay auctions
directly to images of sets hosted on the lugnet.com server.  What people are
doing is linking from various places (mostly eBay auctions) directly to the
JPEG images.  This is a big "no-no":  it's against general web netiquette
and it's also something I have always for years advised people against,
whenever they have asked, or been caught.

In addition to the fact that URLs of the other peoples' images are always
subject to change at any time without notice,

Auctions are ephemeral so this is not that big a deal in the long run.
You can make a utility argument to discourage those that don't see why
it is WRONG.

it's really unethical to link
directly to other peoples' images without their permission, since they are
stuck with the bill for the bandwidth, yet they receive nothing in return.

This really is the crux. Now, I have to confess, I think there is a very
slight chance that in some of my GL auction listings, I may have linked
rather than copied, but I didn't INTEND to, that's for sure. Anyway,
have you thought through the circumstances, if any, for when you WOULD
allow linking, and the process under which you would grant approval?

(SC provides space for you to host images, as well as allowing you to
point to places where images are. But suppose they did not.
Hypothetically, would you allow linking "for a good cause" or would you
disallow it due to the precedent it sets?... just a thought experiment
question for you.)

As I said, I don't THINK I did any of this, and I know I did not mean
to, but if I did, I need to make restitution.

Well, did some digging. I want to apologise to Tim Rueger, because I DID
link to one of his images (of the stickers) in the london bus listing. I
should ping Derick to get him to put a warning on his listing creation
screen about images needing to be hosted by a site the seller controls
or is compensating.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.