 Administrative / General / 1748
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 02:23:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Auctions are ephemeral so this is not that big a deal in the long run.

I was surprised how it actually adds up in the long run.  There are a couple
of reasons why it actually adds up:  First, a hundred different people all
linking from their eBay auctions, even if each lasts only for a week, still
represents a flow of linkages with few ebbs.  Second, a single popular
auction (such as a recent 8880 supercar auction on eBay) can, all by itself,
represent several megabytes of transfers as hundreds of curious onlookers
load the page.

[...]
Anyway, have you thought through the circumstances, if any, for when you
WOULD allow linking, and the process under which you would grant approval?

Heh heh, yeah -- been thinking about that since early 1996, actually -- it's
always been a looming issue.  It just never was a truly noticeble problem
before recently.

I don't know what special circumstances would make good sense to allow
direct linking, because the image URLs are never guaranteed to remain
constant, and any exceptions, as you noted, still set a precedent.  Most
likely, if a special circumstance arose, there would be some kind of one-
off, ad-hoc abstraction layer (with symbolic file-system links or something)
to create an ephemeral area apart from the main area, which would hopefully
help to avoid sending the wrong signals.

What SC does in allowing uploads is very nice.

--Todd