 Administrative / General / 1784
Re: Cracking down on unauthorized image links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:50:53 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
To paraphrase, he made the following points:

  1. Apologized to his bidders for the non-functional image.

In a fairly bitchy little way.  :)

  2. Thought he'd seen such links before and thus assumed they were OK.

Hrmmmm, assumptions, relying on ignorance, and multiple wrongs
possibly making a right, all roled into one.  :)

  3. Searched the site for any mention of guidelines or usage notes about
     image linking, didn't find anything.  Assumed that lack of explicit
     notice against such links indicated an OK to make such links
     (presumably in light of #2).

That's the only really legitimate thing I think he said, and you can
solve that easily, as you have done.

  4. Would have preferred a personal e-mail drawing attention to his misuse
     of the image rather than a surprising "nasty graphic."

Tough.  Like he's important enough to rate a private e-mail message
letting him know he's doing something he shouldn't be doing.  Just
like most young people today, especially most college students -
arrogantly convinced that they are or should be important enough to
everyone else to rate special consideration in all matters.

  5. (Presumably) believes that duplicating of information on the Internet
     is wasteful.

Ridiculous.

  6. Does not have his own server or access to personal space for posting/
     hosting such images.

So, in other words, he's an ignorant fool who hasn't bothered to learn
about the places that eBay itself will steer its users to when they
need space for images.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide