 Administrative / General / 1775
Re: Auction 8480 Technic Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 01:44:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu (Christopher L. Weeks)
writes:
So Todd,
When you post these notes, I'm always impressed, but doesn't composing a
note like this take a bunch of time?  How many of these do you do in a
week?  Do you have some simple cut-n-paste scheme for these set up?

I type extremely fast, plus every one of these types of messages is a long-
term investment.

Probably 1-2 hours a week of things like this.

On second thought, no, it's probably not that much time per week.  The
message to Michael probably took about 1/2 hour -- getting all of the
details straight and figuring out how to be civil -- but that type of
message is fairly rare.  In general, for odds & ends of "sysadmin" type
stuff and all that, it's probably anywhere from 1 to 20 hours per week,
depending on what you count as "sysadmin" stuff.

Things that eat more measurable amounts of time are things like:

- discussing in-depth newsgroup hierarchy possibilities, weighing the myriad
  of options and opinions,
- soliciting and considering feedback/opinions/etc. on new features/setups,
  etc.,
- helping people figure out what's wrong with their newsreader or web
  browser, and making adjustments on the server end if possible,
- and this message, for instance -- it took a full 10 minutes, because I had
  to stop and think.  :)

But everything is an investment.  If it's not going to be an investment, I
try to ignore it.

--Todd