 Trains / 25731
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:40:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

   I was told by multiple sources that the metal clad rails are flat out prohibitively expensive, not simply relatively expensive. (I don’t know why it took 15+ years to figure this out. Perhaps it has something to do with RoHS?).

When you say “prohibitively expensive”, it’s important to put it in context. If you’re talking about a 5 year old getting into trains for the first time, metal rails are certainly expensive. If you’re talking about a Hobby Train, then that’s a different discussion.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Team

I would think that it is the market that TLG is/was trying to target (primarily 7 year olds - think 4561 - through tweens), not Train Hobbyists. $100+ is still a fairly large investment for some parents to make on present that potentially will end up on the floor where they are probably gonna step on it.

I personally thought it was “prohibitively expensive” until about 1997 when I got my first full train set, 4559 (and I was 35 at the time) when I got it on sale at the Air Force Exchange on sale for just under $100.

All I know right now is that I’m not certain how I feel about TLG moving away from metal rail sets.

But I don’t want to put words into Ted’s mouth.

Have Fun!

C-Ya! (#70)