 Trains / 25726
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Joe Strout wrote:

   The speakers were in fact quite emphatic that the 9V train line is not going away. They didn’t say the metal track was too expensive for LEGO to manufacture; they said it was too expensive for them for the youth market where they are trying to push. .. So, maybe we should both listen to the speech again with an ear for detail, and take notes, since you clearly have the impression they’re ending the 9V train line, and I have the clear impression that they are not.

Joe-

I wrote that TLC announced that it is “focusing” on a new “play train” system that will be widely available and that the 9V “hobby train” will be relegated to lego.com and S@H sources, My “observations” were based on what what was said publicly as well as lots of off line discussions. I was told by multiple sources that the metal clad rails are flat out prohibitively expensive, not simply relatively expensive. (I don’t know why it took 15+ years to figure this out. Perhaps it has something to do with RoHS?).

-Ted