 Trains / 25735
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 03:10:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh wrote:

I suspect your $1k for $50 Target deal is one of the key reasons we don't
see trains at Target.  It is hard for retailers like Target and Wal-Mart
stock the LEGO Train System.  It is better handled by high touch small toy
shops and hobby shops.  I suspect the days of finding any serious quantity
of Trains on clearance at Target or elsewhere are long gone.  In general
Target seems to have tightened up their inventory management.  Either that
or in my area they are doing really well and don't have a lot of stuff to
put on clearance.  In general, I saw a whole lot less LEGO and other toys
that interest my kids on clearance after Christmans and during other
clearance cycles.

Mike-

My experience buying LEGO started only goes back 15 years.

The Target buy occurred during the transition from 4.5/12V to the 9 volt system
when I got 100 boxes of old track for $0.50 each.

I haven't found any great Target deals at all in the past 2 years, but confess
to not to looking for them as much since we buy so much from BrickLink and LEGO
stores these days. It feels to me like the hey-dey of the post-Christmas
shopping ran from 1996 to 2000 when I could find things such as boxes of green
baseplates for $1.00 per baseplate and train sets for 75% off. I think these
bargains have disappeared in recent years both because the stores have tightened
inventories to avoid these lossy situations and because buyers are networked and
relentless. I thought I was being "active" by visiting 6 stores in one evening
per season, but once I heard tell of folks who teamed up to check all stores in
their region twice daily, I gave up!

-Ted