 Trains / 25722
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:03:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

   For all the train folk who were reading the gloom and doom threads earlier this month about a possible RC train, the news at BrickFest was: Sometimes the sky really does fall. TLC announced it is going to focus on a new RC (where RC = remote control, not Radio Control, BTW) train system to sell as a “play train” for kids. The explanation is that electric rails are too expensive to manufacture so TLC will switch to a battery powered, infrared controlled, line-of-sight, all plastic rail system. They will create trains will less detail and lower costs in order to be competitive in the kid train market.

First, to be completely clear about a very very important distinction - we’re not “switching”, we’re “including”. Plastic rails will not kill the metal rails. Metal rails will continue into the future. We are working on production process that will allow metal rails to be produced well into the future.

Secondly, both Jorgen Vig and I outlined a number of other reason, not just the cost of the production price of the rails - although that’s certainly a part of the discussion.

   In making the announcement, Jake pointed out that the new track will snap right into existing track, And that for the moment, TLC will continue to sell the old “hobby train” track via lego.com.

Ted, as we chatted about in D.C., this isn’t a “for the moment” thing. We’re not going to simply continue selling metal rails until our stock runs out, as you voiced concern for in D.C. We’re putting plans in place to ensure that metal rails stay around long term. How do I know? Because I’m on the project team that’s working on the Hobby Train.

   I was so astonished and depressed by the announcement that I didn’t ask any questions at the end of Jake’s address. In fact, the whole audience was fairly silent about the subject too.

That’s what LUGNET’s for, right? :)

   Here’s some observations:

1. Just one month after L Gauge made its (splashy!) debut at NMRA, its sole manufacturer announced the switch over to all plastic track.

Again, it’s not a “switch”. In fact, the incredible work of the train clubs and ILTCO and individual train fans is a huge reason our team has gotten solid support from management and a committment to ensure that the Hobby Train continues.

   2. After years of waiting patiently for new track geometry and expansion and always being told that it’s expensive and will take time, we get new track we don’t want: All plastic.

...and a committment to L Gauge (and I’m saying L Gauge rather than 9v). As I mentioned at BF, we’re not replacing the current system (like we have in the past when switching from 4.5 > 12v or 12v > 9v), we’re “stretching” it to include additional components.

   3. It’s been hard enough to get track at retail outlets the past few years, now it will (probably) be impossible.

I’d like to point out that you’re making assumptions, as you yourself point out. Personally, I’m not making that assumption, based on where things are going. The fact that trains are getting increased support at all in retail actually opens up possibilities.

   4. Most of us get our bulk LEGO from closeouts and/or BrickLink. Since track and 9V motors and 9V systems won’t be in retail outlets, we aren’t going to get them for anything other than full MSRP.

Out of honest curiousity, are you buying 9v track and motors at a discount now?

   5. When asked (before Jake’s presentation) about plans for other 9V track, the TLC guy in charge said no plans at present. That was surprisingly worse than the standard “we can’t tell you” and it became clear why when Jake announced the all plastic track.

Ted, I’m not sure who you’re referring to - there were quite a few LEGO people there. Do you mean Jorgen Vig?Out of curiousity, was the LEGO person in question the Trains project team (which would have only included myself, Mark Hansen, and Tormod Askildsen)? If not, the details of the future might not be well understood.

There is absolutely a discussion in place about track geometry and how to achieve that in our new Hobby Train concept. There are no plans for it, yes... meaning we’ve not put plans in place to start up the machines. But there is absolutely an ongoing discussion about how, when, and if it would make sense from all perspectives.

As much as I want to spill the full story on the Play Train and Hobby Train details, I simply can’t. We’re about a year away from release of the Play Train, and we have a ton of work to do between now and then. Some things are still being finalized. We know competitors are able to knock off our products in 6 months or less, so revealing too many details is simply not smart.

But to be clear, just because our focus is not on adding new 9v functionality today, that doesn’t mean that we’re not thinking about it or have ideas up our sleeves.

Because of that, I know I sound a bit vauge and I’m very sorry for that. I really do wish I could share more, and I will as we get closer to launch.

We’ve tried to ensure that we’re doing it right with this project. We’ve worked closely with the group of fans we’ve been calling the Signal group (Steve Barile, Huw Millington, Mike Walsh, Holger Matthes) to make sure all issues have been considered.

We’re working hard to ensure that this isn’t going to be another debacle, and in fact delivers something very positive.

Hopefully that helps makes you a bit more comfortable, Ted. If not, I’m open for questions here or on my blog.

Also, if anyone is interested, the keynote is here:

Audio

My notes for the keynote address

Jake
---