 Trains / 25742
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:28:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

Now I’m not saying I like every aspect of the proposed play train. For one I really hate Infer Red “line of sight” controls. IR will seriously limit the usability of the system for both kids and adults alike. A good example that comes to mind is a tunnel. Imagine a child making a tunnel under his or her bed for the train to go through only to find out it stops as soon as the controller looses sight of the engine. Personally my belief is radio control RC is far more reliable, cheaper to produce and doesn’t require the so-called “bump out” that the IR system would. The electronics also already exist and in the size proposed. Gut any Technic RC car and you will find that the electronic board will fit in a 6x8 stud area. Another thing that bothers me, albeit somewhat to a lesser extent, is what they’re going to do with the train motor. Will it be RC specific or the one already produced. I’m also worried that the motor will be permanently attached to the RC train base instead of using the pin and power wire connector like the current 9volt system uses. Hopefully in the next few months we will get more details.

Not a big IR fan either but one thing to consider about controllability is that perhaps this system will be more like a walkaround throttle than a wired one, that is, in many IR systems, you press the go button and the vehicle goes. Take your finger off it, or lose line of sight, and the vehicle stops. Direct control.

Walkaround throttles (and DCC) send “change” orders. You need the throttle plugged in, or you need to address a command packet to the DCC receiver (respectively) to cause a change in operational state. No change desired? no communication required. So with a walkaround, you set the speed and direction (and whistle/bell/light status) and unjack, walk to another place, jack in, and then change things if you want...

If the IR is like that, losing line of sight might not be so bad. It means the loco would continue doing whatever it was doing till you regained contact, rather than come to an instant stop. So it would continue through a tunnel at present course and speed, so to speak.

I have no inside info, I’m not one of the big 4 “SIGNAL” guys under NDA, I’m just guessing, but if I were designing an IR system, that’s how I would do it.