 Trains / 25772
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:09:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Patrick S. O'Donnell wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee wrote:

But I don't pretend to think that I should be defining the usage of L Gauge
- I'd actually turn this question back on the community... what do y'all
think?

Jake¬
---¬
Jake McKee¬
Community Liaison¬
LEGO Community Team¬

Here's one idea...

Origin'L' for metal tracked model trains

and

'L'Cheapo for the plastic tracked play trains.

-Patrick

My thoughts are since both the metal rail and plastic rail are nearly identical
other than the conducting rails that they are both deserving of being called
L-gauge. However since there could be some confusion I would suggest adding the
words hobby or play somewhere in the description.

Example

L-gauge, hobby
L-gauge, play
Or

Hobby, L-gauge
Play,  L-gauge

Also just for the record. I do not believe that making the track plastic instead
of metal makes it cheap looking. I truly hope that the new lower price points
that the plastic track will provide will allow more kids the chance to play with
a building system that is truly different from any other. The truth is if the
play train idea is a success it will only help our hobby grow.