 Trains / 25719
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:38:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:

   For all the train folk who were reading the gloom and doom threads earlier this month about a possible RC train, the news at BrickFest was: Sometimes the sky really does fall. TLC announced it is going to focus on a new RC (where RC = remote control, not Radio Control, BTW) train system to sell as a “play train” for kids. The explanation is that electric rails are too expensive to manufacture so TLC will switch to a battery powered, infrared controlled, line-of-sight, all plastic rail system. They will create trains will less detail and lower costs in order to be competitive in the kid train market.

In making the announcement, Jake pointed out that the new track will snap right into existing track, And that for the moment, TLC will continue to sell the old “hobby train” track via lego.com.

I didn’t attend that talk, but I did listen to it in MP3 form, and I didn’t get that impression at all. I heard him say that they were introducing a new “play train” line, that would be in addition to the existing 9V and Duplo train lines. Indeed, the point of this new line is to bridge the gap between those two.

The speakers were in fact quite emphatic that the 9V train line is not going away. They didn’t say the metal track was too expensive for LEGO to manufacture; they said it was too expensive for them for the youth market where they are trying to push.

The play train line will be a “gateway” toy: a lower-cost investment for parents of kids who may or may not be still interested in trains six months from now. But fully compatible with the 9V trains, so as they grow up and want to do more, they will almost certainly start buying metal track and the more complex hobby train sets.

I seem to recall they also mentioned that there would be some sort of “Ultimate Train Kit” of hobby train parts, as well as a LEGO Train Designer (hobby-train inventory for the LEGO Designer program), which should result in a lot of cool user-contributed train designs available for sale via LEGO.com.

So, maybe we should both listen to the speech again with an ear for detail, and take notes, since you clearly have the impression they’re ending the 9V train line, and I have the clear impression that they are not.

Best,
Joe