 Trains / 25717
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:15:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ted Michon wrote:
   TLC announced it is going to focus on a new RC (where RC = remote control, not Radio Control, BTW) train system to sell as a “play train” for kids. The explanation is that electric rails are too expensive to manufacture so TLC will switch to a battery powered, infrared controlled, line-of-sight, all plastic rail system. They will create trains will less detail and lower costs in order to be competitive in the kid train market.

Ted, I think you’ve read into this incorrectly.

From my understanding, TLC’s goal is to have TWO train lines - one for “adults”, and one for “young kids” (to bridge the gap between DUPLO trains and 9V). TLC has (hopefully) learned from its mistakes and killing off the 9V train line would NOT be very smart (especially after recognizing the importance of AFOL “train clubs”)!

LEGO Factory is going live soon, and TLC already has the intention of extending it to include trains in the near future - yet another reason why I highly doubt that TLC is switching away from the 9V system.

I encourage you to read the notes for Jake’s BrickFest 2005 Keynote, at http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/brickfest2005/.

-Bryan