 Trains / 25760
Re: All plastic track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:00:15 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Barnes wrote:

   I’d like to add a few of my own detail questions.

A) How many channels will there be? There obviously needs to be at least as many as there are simultaneous running loco’s on tracks else locos on sidings will keep waking up (since the switches won’t turn them off anymore).

B) Is the R/C trainbase and motor a single entity, like 6x28 studs or something? Or can the motor bogies be moved? Are they connected by 9v type wires? (If you are limited to a trainbase type scheme, it eliminates cute little trams or steam train models which rely on hiding the motor under the tender.)

C) What is the battery voltage?

D) Are the motorized bogies likely to be the same wheel spacing as the current 9v motor unit?

E) What is the likely battery lifetime if the train is left switched on but not actually running? Will the On/Off state automatically time out and turn off? After how long? Will a running train also timeout after a while?

F) Does the remote control switch the motor state between on and off or does the remote have to have a button pressed continually? Is there a way of controlling the speed? Button pushed for a while til the train reaches the desired speed? Stays at that speed til a button pushes adjusts it to another speed? Including slowing down and going the other way?

I know the final details may yet to be worked out. Advance information is very welcome and permits people to plan and work towards what may be coming.

I, for one, am really looking forward to this new scheme for two reasons. I can imagine either using an RCX directly or building a simple IR gizmo to allow the RCX or a PC to control trains. I also see a simple option via which existing 9v train motors could operate from onboard 9v battery boxes with a simple controller (built by us fans) to be compatible with the new IR comms standard. Or an enhanced version of it with extra goodie funtionality. I’ll get to work as soon as there is real information.

Thanks for the heads up Jake!!! and TLG!!!

JB

I’ll second every thing John said above. I’ve already built a couple of small RC train projects. And I can’t wait to hack the new system as well.

I also apluad the idea of cheaper train sets (plastic track), as I already have a ton of curved track and 9v controllers.

And I can’t wait to play with the new LF train edition.

Mat