 Technic / 7056
Re: Bi*nicle folks went away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:51:50 GMT

This is somewhat off-topic but has anyone else noticed that the background Bi*nicle noise is gone?  A dreadful visit to .technic.bionicle gives that there is now days between the posts...

I agree with Mike Edwards that most of the traffic has moved over to
BZCommunity.com.  And why wouldn't it?  It seems like the very mention of
Bionicle here on LUGNET prompts overkill threads like this. :)  I manage
online communities for a living (believe it or not, they pay me for that...
go figure), and it only makes sense that the conversation goes where it is
most welcome.  Not to mention that BZCommunity seems to have a more
user-friendly interface common with most message boards found today, which
is helpful for new fans.  The admin over there has found a great need in the
LEGO community and filled it nicely.

Am I defending Bionicle?  Not really.  I hate Jack Stone and mass
juniorization like the rest of you.  I also scratch my head at most of the
decisions that LEGO has made of late with their product mix.  (Why is all
the good stuff with LEGO Direct?).  Bionicle is not LEGO as we have mostly
known it, and that worries me a little.  But I'm also a guy, and guys dig
robots.  (My assumption, of course, based on my 80's childhood fascination
with Transformers).  I can say that I never had much of an interest in
mecha, or even Technic before Bionicle rolled around, and now I find myself
dabbling in both.  I agree that there needs to be more products out there
from Lego to "transition" the folks snared by Bionicle into the more
traditional product lines.  It's frustrating not to see that.

But let's try to be an open community here, and not shoot down the interests
of others.  I'm not saying you have to like Bionicle.  I know that's not
going to happen.  But give it some space, and encourage those that are drawn
in by it.  That's why LUGNET has sections, to cater to your interest.  (And
also why I don't hang around in .duplo or something like that).

Bionicle talk is not "noise," at least if you consider it within the context
of the greater LUGNET plan to "help people share ideas by nurturing the
development and exchange of building concepts" and "help people share
information about LEGO products and LEGO-related resources."

Thanks for hearing me out, and have a great day!

- Steve