 Technic / 6999
Re: Bi*nicle folks went away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:43:51 GMT

I'm going to have to agree with Kyle on this one. A lot of people here have
been rather snobbish about the whole Bionicle thing. Not just because Lugnet
filed it under Technic, which frankly is where it belongs because Lego put it
there. No, many people are personally offended by its very existance. Between
that and the whole "technic sets don't have beams anymore" whining, it seems
everybody thinks Lego can do no right.

It is a concern that LEGO seams to be doing so many things wrong (not only
my opinion, but a reasonable deduction based on their recent financial
losses).  And I find nothing wrong with people expressing their concerns in
this forum.  I event support the right to grip about other people's griping.

Lego was wrong to put Bionicle in with Technic.  Technic is a building toy,
and Bionicle is an action figure.  As a building toy, Bionicle kind of
stinks.  Too many very dedicated parts, too few general purpose ones.  But
it is a very playable toy, and the tie in with the web site is very nice.

I like Bionicle.  Unfortunately, by placing it under the Technic banner
(along with other poor fits such as Throwbots, Slizers, and RoboRiders), it
appears that LEGO thinks it has fullfilled it's Technic set quota.  This is
particularly a problem with the Basic and moderately priced Advanced sets.

Technic builders are concerned because it is becoming ever more difficult to
get the raw materials for our craft.  Service packs are being withdrawn,
builder sets haven't appeared for years, there are very few technic elements
available in bulk, and now the Technic sets don't contain any Technic
elements.  I think I picked a bad time to get interested in LEGO again.