 Technic / 7033
Re: Bionicle folks went away?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:03:18 GMT

My argumets are bionicle is bad for Lego.

This is a complex argument to start with. For Lego the company, Bionicle has
been very, very good. For the proliferation of Lego Technic sets that are big
and fancy, perhaps Bionicle is bad. I could accept the argument that Lego will
produce fewer "real" Technic sets because of Bionicle's success. However, I
would point out that each year still seems to carry a handful of new vehicular
Technic sets, and though I haven't done a rigourous count I think that's about
all Technic every really had was a handful of new vehicular sets each year.
Of course there's also the mob of people who say there hasn't been a "real"
Technic set since studded beams were replaced by non-studded beams. I can
accept that argument too, but the blame for that is nowhere near Bionicle.
I would also like to point out that while the Toa and Bohrok are
indeed very action-figurish, the Rahi monster sets are quite Technic-like.

I think the crux of the matter is that everybody mourns the loss of pre-1990
Technic sets. Yep, they were nice. No argument there. But Lego's moved on since
then, and it's healthier to just accept it and move on rather than to
continuously get worked up about it. Venting your anger at Bionicle doesn't
turn the calendar back.

And their inclusion in our otherwise pristine group is bad for lugnet.technic.

In a system such a Lugnet, it's probably best to just stay with Lego's
organization lest there be non-stop arguments over what should go where. Should
Bionicle be labeled Technic? Probably not, but take it up with Lego, not
Lugnet.

"Otherwise pristine group"? How elitist of you.