 Space / 35781
Re: Tanks or Power Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:33:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Rabadan wrote:
   Hello everyone. I was checking out Ryan Wood’s Jade Empire Hong Hovertank post and he mentions that we have seen little in ground combat vehicles other than power suit. That got me thinking, when you have Power Suits available, should tanks be used / are they really needed? Can tanks add anything that power armor cannot?

As a power armor fan myself I believe that they can replace tanks and do a better job than mechanized armor. They can carry a diversity of weapons; they are a bipedal weapons platform system. They can access areas that tanks may not. They can perform “surgical” strikes and with less collateral damage. What do you think?

David Rabadan

That entirely depends on what technology you want to speculate on. Power armor would require an incredibly powerful and small power source. I suppose that is a given if you are saying that power armor would exist.

The problem with power armor would be how long they could go in combat (or perhaps how long their operator could “hold it” g). They would not be able to carry as much ammo, or would seriously tax their power unit assuming power-dependent weapons. They would also be more prone to handheld anti-armor weapons from clasic infantry than a tank: an expensive piece of machinery and training taken out by a cheap hand-held rocket. Their weapons would be inherently less powerful than those that a tank could carry simply for reasons of size, weight, balance, and recoil. Unless the weapons they carry are strong enough to take out an equally up-teched tank as easy as another tank could, then they can’t really replace a tank. And if their weapons are that strong, then cheap infantry can probably do the same to the power armor.

My suspicion would be that power armor would have its uses, but by itself wouldn’t obsolete tanks. (Jumping around high in the sky a la Heinlein would just make juicy targets).

-->Bruce<--