 Robotics / 19613
RE: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:44:31 GMT

Hi Chris, :)

   The ZNAP green helicopter set (which I got three of last
year at $9 each!)
had some little round turbine-like parts, basically a ducted
fan. Never tried them out to see if they're actually aerodynamically

I have that set. That was one of the first tests I did when I got it.
It's my only ZNAP set. I bought it because of the motor, the flex and those
wheel/"turbine".
From what I remember, it doesn't work that well. It's too tiny. It only
makes a little breeze.

I think it could make a water propeller though, using the flexible drive
shafts to keep the motors safe from the water. I never tried it... yet.
I'm keeping my LEGO away from the water for now. At least as long as I can
think of "dry" projects ;)

functional, but if they were, you could put them in vertical ducts,
driven by the ZNAP flexible drive shafts to float the skirts.

   Ground effect vehicles require quite a bit of power-to-weight,

Yeah, I know :( ...but at least if it could lift the "frame"+motor(s?).
With all the batts offloaded from it.

erm... <dream> If only LEGO could make some LEGO electric "turbo" air
generator like those found in micro-dust-blowers (I don't know the proper
name) and a LEGO rubber "skirt"... </dream>

and I'm not sure if this will fly. I suspect you'd have to cheat
and use a more powerful motor/rotor combination than pure Lego
can offer.

The keyword here (for now) is "powerful motor". Maybe the new RC-Buggy
motors could drive a fan fast enough for a decent air flow.
I don't own that set (yet?), so, I'll make some tests with the other two
types of motors, at home, tonight. I'll try LEGO and non-LEGO fan/blades.

mc.