 Robotics / 19630
Re: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:49:19 GMT

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 04:44:31PM +0000, Marco Correia wrote:
erm... <dream> If only LEGO could make some LEGO electric "turbo" air
generator like those found in micro-dust-blowers (I don't know the proper
name) and a LEGO rubber "skirt"... </dream>

Hi,
I'm not sure whether this would work or not but one possibility is using an
inner tube from a mountain bike tyre. They are strong, reasonably light and
look to be just the right size. Also small holes could be made on the inside of
the skirt to blow air in to the underside (as mentioned by someone else). As
for the motor/fan issue then I'm not sure but I guess model aeroplane shops
would be the best bet. Ducted fan models of fast jets are quite popular but I
think the torque required to drive one would be quite high.

Cheers,
Lee

PS The inner tube would have to be cut to make it a smaller diameter but it
should be reasonably easy to glue the two ends together.

leep@bogus.net DOC #25 GLASS #136
You can never break the chain
There is never love without pain - Secret Touch, Rush