 Robotics / 19626
RE: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:45:33 GMT

Hi Rob :)

A ducted fan approach may work.

Yes, I *think* that's the only way.

There is also the famous British hovercraft that had a HUGE
thrust fan in the center of it.

That's my first approach. I'll deal with motion next.

The duct looks similar to those nuclear plant tower
hourglass shapes.  Although, this design (in LEGO) would be
very heavy and the thrust probably wouldn't be enough.

100% LEGO yes, but I'm planning on using LEGO (maybe ZNAP at first, then a
mix of Technic) as the "wire-frame" and then use plastic film to "fill" the
all thing.

mc.

PS: A cool thing would be if LEGO became interested in this, and could build
custom light ducted propellers and/or an electric ducted air turbine...
erm... and then release it as another Mindstorms Expansion or as a complete
(working) Hovercraft Technic set ;)