 Robotics / 19625
RE: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:17:44 GMT

Hi Andy :)

You may be able to get the power/weight ratio by gearing the
motor very
high, and using a non-Lego propeller.  The propeller would be able to
generate a large amount of lift, allowing a light structure
to get off the
ground.

Well... I tried last night various solutions, with the two types of motors,
gearing, LEGO (useless) and non-LEGO propellers and... the best I could do
was a contraption that only lifted with a counter-weight (something like the
pseudo-helicopter solution discussed on another thread).

so... after these tests, I think I've found a possible motor (the "old"
non-geared one) + non-LEGO propeller to start with. I'm partly convinced
that it won't work, but... that's the beauty of experimentation. Maybe it
can prove me wrong :)

Anyway, next I'll try to channel/concentrate the air flow through something
like a funnel that could be used to create a delimited air cushion.

....maybe I'll use (first) a quick ZNAP frame with the plastic film that I
talked earlier, kinda like a draft of the contraption. If it works, I'll try
doing it with Technic.

mc.