 Robotics / 19651
Re: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 07:48:05 GMT

hi!
so i did tests
and my discoveries are sad
1. pure turbine has to be placed in some kind of tunnel but not exactly
funnel
    the tunnel has to be as a part of ball (sphere) without hats :)) at the
upper and the lower side
    because the stream of air has to compact and air cannot escape near the
blade of rotor or turbine
2. lego motor http://peeron.com/inv/parts/2838c01 is the only one useful
because the new motor has no enough speed
3. propeler has to be non-lego beacause of weight and shape and stability
4. turbine can be weighty so motor can rotate it and keep the speed
(flywheel)
5. good turbine is cd-disc :)) cut on chords and bent termicaly (it's heavy
enough) (you need some tools to do it)
6. for me it's impossible to do lego frame light enough (in fact lego parts
are heavy especialy axles)
7. making skirt is very important (i did it from plastic bag) it's a little
bit hard to do it

so this is 7 sad observations
now i'm not really suprised to hear taht even small planes has very big and
powerfull engines
(those ones which haven't big engine have big wings)

but i'll keep trying
and i hope all of you guys too

br
pixel

"Marco Correia" <marco@soporcel.pt> wrote in message
pixel wrote:
if i will use non lego or znap propeler will you disqualificate me? :)

LOL! No ! I myself am doing tests with a non-LEGO one also.

it would be nice if it could use a LEGO motor... and material usually • found
in every home, so anyone could build one... if we ever find a way to make • it
possible.

because IMO some kind of turbine is needed here

Yep. Do you have any clever trick to do it ?
(besides using a turbine from a hovercraft kit ;)

i'll try to do it tonight

good ! the more trying the better :)

mc.