 Robotics / 19611
Re: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:58:37 GMT

Marco Correia wrote:
3) Is there a LEGO-only way to generate enough air flow (pressure) ?
One solution to "trap" the air underneath the unit is to build a LEGO
framework (as light as possible) and then use plastic film (that used to
keep vegetables fresh etc) to create something like the bottom of an
hovercraft.
...I'm going to make some tests at home, but I don't think it'll work. But
at least I tried :)

   I'd be interested in knowing how this works.

   The ZNAP green helicopter set (which I got three of last year at $9 each!)
had some little round turbine-like parts, basically a ducted fan. Never tried
them out to see if they're actually aerodynamically functional, but if they
were, you could put them in vertical ducts, driven by the ZNAP flexible drive
shafts to float the skirts.

   Ground effect vehicles require quite a bit of power-to-weight, and I'm not
sure if this will fly. I suspect you'd have to cheat and use a more powerful
motor/rotor combination than pure Lego can offer.

mc.

Chris - Xenon
--
      Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | Life is too short to fold socks!