 Robotics / 19620
Re: "real" LEGO Hovercraft ? (with/without batteries/RCX "onboard")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 01:22:18 GMT

A ducted fan approach may work.

Ducted fan hovercraft have one or two big fan blades on the back that push
the craft forward, but a duct takes some of the air and uses it to fill the
skirt.  This is probably the "lightest" design approach.  Direction
(including reverse) is controlled by vanes on the very back.

There is also the famous British hovercraft that had a HUGE thrust fan in
the center of it.  The duct looks similar to those nuclear plant tower
hourglass shapes.  Although, this design (in LEGO) would be very heavy and
the thrust probably wouldn't be enough.

In either case, one might consider using a thin baseplates for the deck.

- Rob