 Pirates / 1962
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 16:39:47 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Greg Kramer writes:
I think re-releasing sets will drive me crazy for a different, but related,
reason...  I'm less worried about the value of the sets I own going down,
but I think this will make it much harder for me, as a buyer, to figure out
how much to pay for an older set.

Every time I go to buy an older set (one that Lego has not yet re-released),
in the back of my mind I'll be thinking "maybe I should wait another few
months and see if Lego re-releases it".  You know, do I pay 50% over retail
now, or get in an ebay bidding war, when it could show up at Lego Direct in
two months?

Ya.

But just look at it as "do I want the enjoyment of having it nowish enough
to pay X for it" rather than the other way...  if I stress out for 1/2 hour
about the decision, that's a cost too...

So stop worrying and buy buy buy. Or sell sell sell. I dunno. ;-)

I'm guessing that these thoughts will drag down prices somewhat. Which
may be a bad thing. The good prices are what gets non-FOLs scouring the
used market and putting these things up for sale (I think the bulk of my
eBay buying is from non FOLs). Of course if the prices mostly just drop
from insane to healthy margins, then it could be good for all. It could
also be good for those of us who are mostly looking for parts. I have
become just about absolutely convinced that given a mixed heap of LEGO,
the most cost effective way to turn it into green is to divide it into
sensible parts lots. The labor is a fraction of that required to put
into sets, eliminates any worry of missing pieces, can significantly
reduce the worry about poor quality parts (a conscientious seller can
more easily say "here's a lot of pirate masts, 1 of them is mangled"
than make sure they list every part in a set which might be in poor
shape), and lets those of us who are looking for very specific parts to
get just those (of course I have on numerous occaisions realized I
should have been bidding outrageously for complete sets due to the
numbers of parts from them I've bought, 6079 comes to mind the quickest
here, but Paradisa also comes to mind).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com