 Pirates / 1917
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 10:09:56 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Nick Cameron writes:
  We should be going crazy. Think this over:

-We see old technic and town sets clearly in modern boxes (e.g. labeled city
center)
-We see two pirate sets in all new packaging
-Lego dosn't usually make new packaging for just two sets, or limit them to
one country.
-Whenever Lego makes big sets in a theme, they also make lots of little ones
-Lego dosn't usually ralease things over $50 in only one country
-People may start to get mad that Lego is only selling things they already
have, so Lego will probably also make new sets •  If you didn't get one word of that, let me interpret: EITHER PIRATES ARE
COMIN' BACK, OR EVERY THEME WILL HAVE OLD SETS RE-REALEASED (yellow castle?)!

If this IS the july suprise, we may be pleased sooner than we think...

NICK

Some thoughts why I am not going crazy:

- Last year a lot of #6280 were sold at a german toy shop chain, although
the Pirate theme wasn´t listed in the catalogue anymore
- I am always on the lookout for old sets and I have found about 5-6 copys
of  #6289 sitting on shelfs in different toyshops
- I have spoken to an owner of a german LEGOshop and he told me that for
some (bigger) old sets TLG is buying back the stock from the shops and is
offering them to big toyshop chains such as ToysRUs or Hertie (german
derpartment store) for 25%-50% of the normal price. This is why Hertie had
loads of the Technic Space Shuttle for DM 140 (about US$ 70) last year.
- My guess is, that they had a lot of these sets left. Maybe all or a part
of them are sets coming back from the shops and my have bruised boxes. This
could be the reason for the new boxes.
- I´d bet that TLG is not re-releasing old sets. They are rather selling old
stock. So hope for the best but don´t expect too much.

...just my 2 Pfennig,

dö - "I´m not even supposed to be here today !"