 Pirates / 1944
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 20:25:16 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, John Carroll writes:
If TLC is reissuing old sets those selling old sets not be too happy (EI
held onto a guarded in to sell it on ebay for mucho $, And then TLC
rereleases it in 2001[1]) I will be happy cause hopefully I can get some old
sets again.  but a little disapointed cause now anyone can have a cheap army
of black falcons[1] it might wreck havoc on ebay and brick bay etc. (which
can be overpriced)

I have no sympathy for anyone trading in Lego for profit except for TLC
itself (and even then there is a reasonableness in pricing factor),
especially if their ambition is primarily to make $$$ from old MISB sets
(which excludes people who actually play with their Lego even if they have
some MISB sets on the shelf or trade elements and sets to financially
supplement their buying habits).  And I agree 100% with all the other
posters as to the artificial inflation of prices and manufactured scarcity
in a supposed "collector's" market.  I have paid crazy prices for lego sets
I wanted but I would be ONLY TOO HAPPY to be able to get multiples of the
same sets for far less money!  I am into the toy purely for the pleasure of
the play and I have never been into anything for collectible speculation.
And I fail to see how any of us, or especially TLC, owes anything more to
such  collectibles vultures beyond the money they have already received
preying upon us AFOL. If there is a profit to be made, let TLC make it --
that helps everyone into the hobby for play purposes.

If you want a truly rare item, make one by customizing your own minifigures!

-- Hop-Frog