 Pirates / 1943
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:47:12 GMT

If TLC is reissuing old sets those selling old sets not be too happy (EI
held onto a guarded in to sell it on ebay for mucho $,

Then stop holding on to it and sell it now, while there's still
no possible competition from LEGO re-releasing the set.

Or, wait until the sets are no longer being sold by LEGO again.  It
just means sitting on your investment a little longer.

Or, accept that not all investments pan out, neither in the
stock market or in the lego world.

Anyway, if you're sitting on a guarded inn, I don't have much
pity - just think how happy someone would be to get that set!
No reason to hold on to it.

And then TLC
rereleases it in 2001[1]) I will be happy cause hopefully I can get some old
sets again.  but a little disapointed cause now anyone can have a cheap army
of black falcons[1]

I will be thrilled that now anyone could have a cheap army of
black falcons!  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

it might wreck havoc on ebay

Awwwww.

and brick bay etc. (which
can be overpriced)

It can only be good.  Downward pressure on the price
of rare sets is a good thing for everyone except the
people who are into LEGO only for profit.  The sets you
already own should be just as valuable to you if they
are re-released, because you've had all this time to enjoy
them.  And the re-releases may put otherwise impossibly-rare
parts in the hands of auctioneers, which is a good thing -
they have more cool stuff to sell, and parts-buyers have
more cool stuff to buy.  It's a *good* thing.

The ONLY possible danger I see to the LEGO community is that
someone might get enraged because a shady auctioneer was
selling a "mint in mint box" old set just to find out that
someone had taken the contents of a re-release and shoved it
in an old box.  Even so, that anger would be silly, if the contents
of the set are identical.  At that point the elements are
fungible and it would take an extremely particular kind of
collector to worry about that sort of thing.  I'm not worried
about that, myself.  I see only goodness coming from this!

At least LEGO put new set numbers on the box numbers.  There's
not going to be a lot of confusion about what's old and what's
new on the marketplace, really.  And I just love the idea of
people being able to acquire classic sets, even if it means that
they are able to acquire them more easily than I did in the past.
Why, that should just give me pause to reflect on how much I've
already enjoyed them, and give me a reason to buy a few more of
the same set in the future.

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"