 Pirates / 1964
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 18:18:46 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Greg Kramer writes:
I think re-releasing sets will drive me crazy for a different, but related,
reason...  I'm less worried about the value of the sets I own going down,
but I think this will make it much harder for me, as a buyer, to figure out
how much to pay for an older set.

Every time I go to buy an older set (one that Lego has not yet re-released),
in the back of my mind I'll be thinking "maybe I should wait another few
months and see if Lego re-releases it".  You know, do I pay 50% over retail
now, or get in an ebay bidding war, when it could show up at Lego Direct in
two months?

Ya.

But just look at it as "do I want the enjoyment of having it nowish enough
to pay X for it" rather than the other way...  if I stress out for 1/2 hour
about the decision, that's a cost too...

So stop worrying and buy buy buy. Or sell sell sell. I dunno. ;-)

++Lar

I've heard on the winds that a castle people accessory set is coming and it
will contain a female figure.  I don't know anymore then that, so don't
press me...

Now, onto more pressing matters, The Yellow Castle...

Why hasn't it been considered as a recreation of a classic set.  What could
be a better surprise than that for the big "July Surprise" everyone is
talking about.

Let's break the Yellow Castle down (I'm lucky enough to still have one from
childhood):
1. 95% of the set is basic brick
2. The minifigs are all plain torso, no problem there.
2. Horses were made out of basic brick.  Could be swapped for pre-formed horses
3.  Classic helmets are not in production, but the new style is.  Could be
swapped for those
4.  Tall, sloped bricks are currently in blue, green and dark gray. (pink
too?)  No problem there looking fo rthe mold.
5.  Torso stickers are becoming very prevalent (McD's, Soccer, Bike Tours,
etc)  No problem there.
6.  1x1 red windows,  this is the only hang-up I see for not re-introducing
the Yellow Castle.
7.  Weapons in light gray.  Heck, all the shields are still produced on
light gray blanks.
8.  What's that leave, not a thing from stopping a re-release of the prized
Yellow castle.  I think it is cheaper and cheaper set for them to reproduce
then the Guarded Inn.  (Personal feeling when comparing the types of
elements in each set).

So, I may be dreaming, but, if you're going to dream, dream big...