 Off-Topic / Fun / 5062
Re: Stephenson's Rocket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:15:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

ka-snip

I also like the PC version of 1830.  I mostly play with random maps now.

We don't really bother with the board game version at all anymore - 1830
straight off the computer.  It plays *much* faster that way.

Board: 1830 when serious, Eurorails or Iron Dragon, when just for fun,
although Streetcar is also challenging

I prefer 1870 of the 18xx games that I've played (1830, 56, 70, • 53(?...Imperial
India), and 35.

We've 18xxed out in general (except on the computer).  Perhaps those 9 hour
1829 games pushed us over the edge.  :-)

Eurorails is my fave of the crayon games, but Iron Dragon has some nice rules
additions.  (I don't care for the foreman rules)  Nippon (especially) or
Australian or Brittish rails both make better two player games than the large
boards.

Ditto to all the above.

I've played Silverton, and I think there are some good ideas burried in it,
but it's really boring and cumbersome.

I know several people who like it, but I tend to agree with you it can be on
the boring side.

My amusing Silverton story: we were playing the original version before the
expansion came out at a game convention in the open gaming area.  Lots of
people wander by to watch.  My wife looks up at one guy and out of the blue
says, "Are you the designer of this game?"  He looks up, then right and left to
see if she was speaking to someone else.  Seeing that he was indeed the
questioned party, he manages to stutter out a reply:

"Why, yes!"  And then went on to explain about the expansion he had designed.

Scratching my head, I asked my wife later on, "You saw his name-badge, right?
That's how you knew."

"No, he just reminded me of Fritz Bronner."  (designer of Liftoff!)

I will never doubt women's intuition again!  :-)

Union Pacific is pretty good - basically a
remake of Airlines.

My favorite 'train' board game is Iron Duke, but it's only a train game in the
way it's portrayed.  It's doesn't feel trainy, and it's really a puzzle game.

Chris

Thumbs up on both of these.

Bruce