 Off-Topic / Fun / 5061
Re: Stephenson's Rocket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 19:07:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:

<snipped synopsis>

If this has been unclear, the rules are available at the link above.

Perused them. Seems to have a bit of Acquire-ish thinking, in how stuff merges.
Well, I'll give it a go if I see it.

For flat out beer and pretzels, it's tough to beat railway rivals... a bit of
business at the beginning about who gets through what passes first, and then
it's just pure luck.

I've played, but I recall it being pretty simple, and nice enough, but it
didn't scream "buy me."  And so I didn't.

Ya, it's simple. Good mundanes game. I tend to buy every railroad game I
encounter, so I did.

Have you ever
looked at http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/18xx/index.htm ?  It's a
great 18xx site.

Thanks for the pointer!

I haven't played these. Have you played Streetcar?

I think so.  Is it set in New Orleans?

Maybe. It's a common network, upgradeable routing game, with an interesting
movement mechanism. My beef is that once the game tide turns there's not much
of a way to recover.

Or is that Railway Rivals?

set in the central UK as so many other rail games are.

Is
Streetcar the same system as Linnie1?  I think I have once or twice quite a
while ago.

Not sure. The tiles are square, and you establish "stops"

<RollerCoasterTycoon>

Is that actually good?  What's the premis?  I mean, I guess you're
making money at a theme park, but what's the hook?

Mike Stanley hated it, said it was too much like work. :-) There IS a lot of
management level decision making to make, but I like that kind of stuff.

What I like about it is that your decisions about what rides to put where, how
to organize the paths, what to charge, what booths to have, and a lot of other
factors all matter. It's a good economic simulation.

What I REALLY like about it, though, is that the coaster physics are accurate,
near as I (a layman) can tell. If you don't design things right, the cars won't
make it around the course, or will go too slow through the inversions. It's
possible to make a coaster so boring that no one will ride it, or one so rough
that everybody pukes right when they get off and even if you have lots of
handymen there, you can't keep the puke off the sidewalks and park attendance
starts to fall because the peeps are grossed out.

But when you get a coaster just right, it's a beautiful thing.

Oh, and the other part that's fun is stuffing 10 pounds of rides into a 5 pound
park. I usually play well beyond when i've won the scenario just to see how
crammed full of rides (and intertwined) I can get the park.

I just got the Lionel Trans Con PC game which I stumbled across at KBKids • while
looking for other stuff, haven't tried it yet.

Never heard of it.  Good luck.

Played it. It's for kids. Trys to teach you history, some of it incorrect.
Avoid.

++Lar