 Marketplace / Theory / 1257
Re: How does one become a "Guild of Bricksmiths(tm)" member?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 19:43:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Scott Arthur writes:

Lar:
Scott:
Kevin:
If you mean the Guild of BrickSMITHS, it is no more "within LUGNET"
than it is "within RTL". Completely separate entity.
Nor is it a faction.

faction = a group within a larger group.

Warning, some words elided from the above by Scott.

...are you insinuating I would seek to deliberately mislead anyone?

Hardly. Why, *did* you? I would say "accidentally misled" because I don't
choose to ascribe malice to that which can be satisfactorily explained
otherwise.

A faction is "group within a larger group",

Yes, we heard this incomplete definition the first time, thanks muchly for
repeating it.

As I demonstrated, it is not. Not merely, at any rate. Faction carries a
connotation which is *quite* negatively loaded. One which cannot be evaded by
accusations of paranoia on the part of the recepients of the appelation.

Why are we going here? We're not a faction. We seek to sow no dissent, start no
brawls, foment no discord. We merely wish to present our wares for purchase.
And so we did, to apparently universal acclaim if the ratings on our
announcement are to be believed.

For the record, I see no difference between the New Guild and WAMALUG,
GMLTC, Dixielug, NELUG, etc. (essentially like mided individuals sharing the
same geography, enterprise, etc.)

By extension Lugnet is a faction w/in a large group of on-line Lego fans,
on-line Lego fans are a subset of a an even larger group of Lego builders,
and so forth.  All of us are already divided by geography, lineage,
occupation etc.; Must we be divided by our love of our hobby or United by
our appreciation of these little bricks ? (ok stump speech over.)

I welcome your new Lego endeavor and I like the entrepenuerial spirit that
this guild has demonstrated...I think Lego (and the whole US) needs more of
it..."thinking outside the box", risking failure/success, and taking
initiative to change the status quo (many lame TLC sets) should be supported
not derided or dismissed...isn't that evolution?

I could write letters of protest to TLC about their recent offerings til I'm
50, withut eliciting a serious consideration from the owners.  Hey TLC isn't
my company so I don't make the rules...I register my vote w/ my
wallet/credit card.  This is a traditional means of lodging a complaint that
often accomplishes something...These interesting alternative sets, while
showcasing the talents of the creators, also show up the current Lego
offerings by comparison...Proactive protest; instead of endlessly ranting
about crappy Lego jr. sets, these guys made their own...they found a niche
business where there is high demand...whether they become millionaires and
quit there day jobs remains to be seen.

I made a few original vehicles that I intended to eBay eventually...or sell
through a website...a sort of  Lego car company w/ a few models...but I
haven't gotten off my rear to realize this goal yet...somebody else has done
it...I wish them luck and look forward to details...I commend their
initiative and do not view them as a clique, a threat whatsoever...and if
they start a revolution so be it = )