 Off-Topic / Fun / 5053
Re: Stephenson's Rocket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 02:55:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

Have you played Stephenson's Rocket?  I can't get enough of it.

What, pray tell, is this? By the title, I'd adjudge it to do with railroads,
but is it a PC game, a board game, or what?

Board.  It is of German origin.  It's by Reiner Knizia and distributed in
English in the US by Rio Grande Games.  It's a fairly abstract board game, but
is very very challenging.  I most highly reccommend it.

Sounds good. Can you tell more about it? For example, I consider 1830 more
"abstract" than eurorails. One of the reasons I like 1830 is the stock market
manipulation. What do you mean by abstract..

For flat out beer and pretzels, it's tough to beat railway rivals... a bit of
business at the beginning about who gets through what passes first, and then
it's just pure luck.

My faves in the RR genre:

PC: Railroad Tycoon (original, strangely enough)

I've played a few hundred hours of the new version and I think I agree with
you.  The original has soul that the new one (which I have to give points to
for technical improvement) lacks.  I do like the fact that there is a player
community on the net involved in creating maps and scenarios for the new game.

I'll have to check that out.

I also like the PC version of 1830.  I mostly play with random maps now.

I have a rather old CD at this point of this which we played a fair bit, but I
like the board version better, multiplayer on the PC was cumbersome, and single
player not as fun as against humans. (it's great to send someone up the river
with a well timed dump, and you can't do that against the PC players, they
can't be suckered...)

Board: 1830 when serious, Eurorails or Iron Dragon, when just for fun,
although Streetcar is also challenging

I prefer 1870 of the 18xx games that I've played (1830, 56, 70, • 53(?...Imperial
India), and 35.

I've only played '29 (? the english) '30 and '35 (which I found quite hard to
fathom, I don't grok the intermediate stage). Why do you like '70?

Eurorails is my fave of the crayon games, but Iron Dragon has some nice rules
additions.  (I don't care for the foreman rules)  Nippon (especially) or
Australian or Brittish rails both make better two player games than the large
boards.

Yes. Between my brother in law and me, we have all of them except british
and the original, strangely enough, and Nippon is good for a fast 2 player.

I've played Silverton, and I think there are some good ideas burried in it, • but
it's really boring and cumbersome.

I've had good luck getting mundanes to try Silverton, better than say, empire
builder or rail baron, believe it or not. I agree with you, I too think there's
a good game in there somewhere struggling to get out. The notion of controlling
your own production and the strategic thinking about whether to go for one
mineral or a smattering of all, and the way the market responds to supply  are
all good.

Union Pacific is pretty good - basically a
remake of Airlines.

My favorite 'train' board game is Iron Duke, but it's only a train game in the
way it's portrayed.  It's doesn't feel trainy, and it's really a puzzle game.

I haven't played these. Have you played Streetcar?

I should also mention Transport Tycoon which I like a lot (and which you can
see the bones of in RollerCoaster Tycoon, my current fave PC game).

I just got the Lionel Trans Con PC game which I stumbled across at KBKids while
looking for other stuff, haven't tried it yet.

++Lar