 Off-Topic / Debate / 6776
Re: Israel and the Palestinians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:05:41 GMT

Larry, I think you overestimate the Israeli's "rule of law". Sitting here on the
other side of the world, that looks like the weak link.  I've always had canny
admiration for their prowess, but there's a little bit of thug on their side
too.

In the ruling coalition department: consider the recent history of Lebanon
before making recommendations.  I've only had one semester of Mideast studies so
I'll clam up now.

Jerry Pournelle met Barak under some uncommon circumstances in July, and finally
wrote about it now. I think he's got the right attitude where he begins by
saying he's glad he's not the judge of it all, and goes on to point out there
will be no peace unless certain hard options are considered:

Seen at http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/view122.html

   >I don't suppose I will make many friends by thinking about this situation,
   >but I seem doomed to do it. The following are thoughts. I have no authority
   >in that area, and thank God that is a burden I will never bear.

Scroll down to Thursday, October 12 thru Friday, October 13.