 Off-Topic / Debate / 6739
Re: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:10:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 01:40:54PM +0000, Scott A wrote:
oh - ok...  you don't think Arafat want's the destruction of israel? • hmmm...

Arafat: [1]
              "Our people [are] continuing the road to Jerusalem, the
              capital of our independent Palestinian state," Arafat said.
              "To accept or not to accept it, let him go to hell."

Does this mean he wants the "destruction of israel"?

Hmmm...  it certanly doens't show that he want's peace, does it?

I'm sure he does want peace. Let's not doubt that. It is the terms of peace
which are important.

and there are quite a few others.  If Arafat wanted peace, he would have
lived up to his end of the bargin on each of the agreements already made
with Israel.  He chose not to, and instead started riots in an attempt to
gain the world's sympathy.  He says the violence must stop, which giving
speaches and interviews where he says that it must continue, praising the
rioters.  Quite double faced, imo.

Is he the only one who is "double faced"?

I read this yesterday on the BBC:
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle%5Feast/newsid%
5F985000/985175.stm

says right there, btw:

               Israelis, no matter how left-wing, cannot
               take Palestinian demands on par with their
               own because to accept Palestinian national
               rights is to deny Israel's right to exist.

What _is_ the answer then. The they are not will to treat all claims equally?

If the Israeli did not react in such a violent manner the rioting would have
stopped days ago. For now, I think, it is the goal of the rioters to have • the
Israelis over react. That is pretty clear to me. The way that Israel is • trying
to confine/suppress this is not the only way it can be done. I’d like to see
them using traditional crowd control measures much much more to calm things
down – tear gas etc. Using live ammunition, tanks and gunships is over the
top. I do not think that the land is worth lives that are being lost in both
sides. Does anyone outside the region?

Please tell me what other way could they have reacted?  Traditional crowed
control doesn't work well when the crowd is wielding guns and firebombs...
Tear gas doesn't work when it gets thrown back at you...

A minority of those on the ground have guns. I heard yesterday the YA had
ordered his paramilitary to stand down(?). In the last few years,  NI troops
come under fire all the time by mobs which can be compared with those in
Isreal - but they do not open fire:

From :
http://news6.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/events/northern_ireland/latest_news/news
id_129000/129817.stm
"More than 100 loyalist protesters broke through two sections of the barbed
wire at Drumcree as the stand off continued through a fifth night.

Four policemen were injured by two nail bombs thrown from the crowd, and
several more were hurt by ball bearings fired from catapults.

The police fired plastic bullets."

If Israel is whiter that white on this, why will they not accept an
independent assessment of the whole situation rather that pushing for some
sort of fudged compromise?

oh, Israel defenitly isn't whiter that white...  I'm just saying that I don't
think they're being overly aggressive or violent.

hmm.

Scott A