 Off-Topic / Debate / 6708
Re: Israel and the Palestinians ( WasRe: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 22:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
I won't reply to all this because Me-2'ing Larry is just not something I like
to do ;-)...

Which, the Me-2'ing or the particular target? :-) I didn't know we were in
DISagreement all that much, actually.

Well, I try to stay away from debates in general - I usually keep my opinions
to myself, unless they are really close to home (like this one). So, you
probably don't know my opinions in general - thus you don't really know if I
agree w/you or not. ;-)

Basically I don't like me-2'ing at all, but me-2'ing you is even worse <grin,
duck, run>.

and I really agree with pretty much everything he says.

I guess I find this a bit surprising... I after all said that I didn't think
Israel should have been created in the first place. (that was mixed in there
along with all the good stuff about how Israel comports itself and how it
treats its citizens).

I know exactly what you said (or at least I think so). And I agree that the
location Israel was formed in is not the ideal one (which is basically what
you said, no?). IMO, it should've been created someplace else. Putting it in
then-Palestine was simply looking for trouble. OTOH, it was the "natural"
place to look for at the time - where the Jews originated from. And you're
right again when saying that what's done is done. I know that I would have a
VERY hard time with the concept of moving Israel somewhere else - I love the
place where I (used to) live, and being away from it temporarily is hard
enough. Giving it up entirely would be even harder. (And take note that I am
on of the liberal/peace-making side of the political spectrum in .il - no way
you'll be able to convince the other side to give up.)

Maybe I took your point in the wrong way, but that's what I understood, and
that's what I agreed to. Israel as a country needed to be created *somewhere* -
just not *there*.

-Shiri (who is surprised she actually agrees w/Larry on a point)

You'll get over it, it only hurts a little the first time.

<grin> yep, it's just that it seems you have a knack for being on the side
opposite of what most people believe. ;-)

-Shiri