 Off-Topic / Debate / 6689
Re: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:30:37 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

<snip>

While you're busily condemning the US for trying to influence affairs you
might want to make sure that the UK colonial record is clean first. It's not.
The US was a colonial power, briefly, mostly by accident, but has a pretty
good record (our biggest colony being the Phillipines, and we did fairly well
at running that second hand colony and fairy well at transitioning it). The UK
has a long bloody record of repression as a colonial power and a terrible
record at stopping and leaving stable governments behind.

Iraq-Kuwait
India to India-Pakistan
Pakistan to Pakistan-Bengladesh
Palestine to Israel-Jordan
Ireland to Ireland-Northern Ireland
The Tamil Tigers
Rhodesia
South Africa

All caused by fools somewhere in London drawing lines on maps.

I can add at least South East Anatolia and Cyprus to the list.

I believe that, too, if Uncle Sam puts his hands on an issue, it is
solely for his own gain (no matter political or monetary), and either he
gained at the and or not is nothing to the with initial intend. But it
is a wrong thing? Full no. It is not wrong in anyway for a government
putting its own country's benefit on top of others. Every country trying
to make this in someway, whether they are successful at that or not is
solely their own problem.

It's not a big power of international politics now as it was till the
end of the WW1, but UK was the champion in playing with other country's
and people's faith for it's own benefit. And I agree that he totally
screwed up at places wherever he put its hands on, leaving decades old
wars and hatred that most of them still continuing.

I always think that when putting blame on some other peoples
background/history, it's wise to reconsider your very own.

Selçuk