 Off-Topic / Debate / 6687
Re: When is a website "independent" and when is it "part of"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 08:47:00 GMT

it's not the US role to be the world's
policeman, but I digress).

That was a throwaway comment and I didn't expect a debate, but since you're
slagging the US, here I am.

I'd say the UN is/should be the world's policeman. What the US (and others)
do independent of the UN is political mumbo jumbo all based on selfish gain.

Not sure I agree that everything the US does externally is for the benefit of
the US. I think it *should* be, but it isn't.

Take what is happening in the middle-east right now. If the US were to
withdraw some of its dogmatic support for Israel - it would have ended
days/weeks/years ago.

With the total destruction of Israel, right? I mean, isn't that what the hard
line states (and Yassir) want? For Israel to be gone, wiped off and the
territory replaced with a new state (not a Palestinian state, mind you...
that's Jordan). I will not debate the validity of the claim, per se. I think
it may very well have some validity though... what the British Empire did in
old Palestine by partitioning it into new Palestine (Jordan) and Israel, then
walking away and leaving everyone to fight it out, left things a total mess,
which is the usual result of UK meddling in borders. I could cite a half dozen
examples.

While you're busily condemning the US for trying to influence affairs you
might want to make sure that the UK colonial record is clean first. It's not.
The US was a colonial power, briefly, mostly by accident, but has a pretty
good record (our biggest colony being the Phillipines, and we did fairly well
at running that second hand colony and fairy well at transitioning it). The UK
has a long bloody record of repression as a colonial power and a terrible
record at stopping and leaving stable governments behind.

Iraq-Kuwait
India to India-Pakistan
Pakistan to Pakistan-Bengladesh
Palestine to Israel-Jordan
Ireland to Ireland-Northern Ireland
The Tamil Tigers
Rhodesia
South Africa

All caused by fools somewhere in London drawing lines on maps.

*DO* I need to go on?

Note that the vaunted french screwed up as badly, or worse, in Indochina.

++Lar