 Off-Topic / Debate / 6775
Re: Are we all too nice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 02:59:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
One trend I've noticed is that here (at the LUGNET discussion groups) people
seem to get much more upset when someone acts "incorrectly" as judged by group
norms than people did in RTL or than people do in other small communities.
Oh, people screamed back louder in RTL than they do here, but I what I see is
that people are actually more upset here when it happens.

In un-moderated usenet newsgroups, most people just skip over flame wars,
trolls and spams because they get used to it.  Compare with RTL, Lugnet is
lightly moderated and you need to register before you can post.  The
registration is already a good noise filter, since you can't switch ID every
minutes unlike regular Usenet.

I am wondering what people would think if there were a group

  lugnet.off-topic.debate.flame

where, basically, anything goes:  rudeness, complete gruffness, even
profanity.  (When I say anything, BTW, I mean anything but copyright
violations or other illegalities, etc.)

It would have to come with certain technical restrictions on it whereby you
couldn't crosspost to it or post replies to or from it

That's good.  I would like to suggest another technical thing before I 'vote'.
Unlike other groups, posts in that group should be deleted after a some time,
say 1 month.  So that one angry post cannot be used against the poster a few
years later.

[and the first person who replies is a poopy head.  :-]

Do I get a price for that?  One 2001 Imperial Shuttle would be nice... ;)
(What's a poopy head anyway?)