 MediaWatch / 166
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 13:19:12 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Santosh Bhat writes:
During my first year of Civil Engineering, we had a project of building a
model bridge using paddlepop sticks (Australian term), i'm not sure what
they're called around the world, but their the wooden sticks you get with
ice creams bought in packets.

In the US we commonly call them Popsicle sticks, but that's actually a case
of trademark dilution, as Popsicle is a trademark for a brand of "paddle
pops". I think there is a generic name but I forget what it is. Note that
these sticks are narrower than tongue depressors which you also can get for
use in projects...

Although I see merits in using Technic beams and joints as real life
construction models, the problem with these are that they don't represent
true life strenght of materials for weight etc.. Well unless you can afford
to build life size items with ABS plastic ;)

Are you saying that real materials are stronger per unit of mass or weaker??
I sort of would have expected steel to be stronger!

++Lar