 MediaWatch / 164
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:02:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Christopher Tracey writes:

My wife used to work for the American Society of Civil Engineers and to
the best of my recollection, that organization is really into using KNEX
for educational purposes.  She did bring in LEGO for a 'play' area for a
bring your kid to work day and it was a pretty good success.  I can ask
her more about the org's construction toy position if anyone is
interested.

-chris

If only the Institution of Civil Engineers had a 'construction toy
position'!  In my opinion they do not do enough to promote civils amoing
schoolchildren and when they do (usually at the 14-16 level) they tend to
use spaghetti or straws for construction challenges.  I guess because
they're cheaper.  I would prefer it if they used toys that children recognised.

I am definitely interested in what the ASCE thinks.

Psi