 Technic / 5408
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 15:53:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Because you know all the idioms. To draw an analogy, I can code in C++ or
Java a lot faster than I can in Lisp, because I know more idioms and
patterns. That doesn't (in and of itself) make C++ *better* than Lisp, just
different. You need a different metric to decide whether C++ is better or
worse. Partisan facile-ness with it doesn't count.

But yes, I do think LEGO is more expressive than Meccano. There are more
parts, and it can be used across a much wider range of problems. I'm biased,
I haven't set out to *prove* it but it's what I believe to be true.

Having said that, it still is more possible for the novice builder (your
average 6 year old or 8 year old, or even 12 year old that hasn't used LEGO
much, and thus doesn't know the idioms) to make weak structures in LEGO than
it is in Meccano or Knex or even Znap.

Hope that's clear. I'm NOT trying to pick a fight (I consider all three
other systems I mentioned far inferior) just trying to say that I understand
where the perception referenced comes from.

Hi Larry.

Correct me if I misunderstand but you appear to be saying that the Lego
idioms are quicker to learn than for the other construction toys.  We also
appear to agree that the writers perception is wrong.

Do you support me attempting to correct it?

Psi