 Local / United Kingdom / 6820
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:48:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, George Haberberger writes:

I think he's right.

I have a BS degree in Aerospace Engineering, and took many courses in
engineering mechanics. The simplifications used in engineering mechanies are
better modeled by Meccano (or Erector sets) than in Lego. Techniq is better
than the bricks, but still not as good.

Some of the simplifications are used to avoid nondeterminate equations (ie.
four equations and six variables). One example is that many joints are
considered to be only constrained vertically and horizontally, not
rotationally. If you were to model a truss with four elements meeting (which
is most of the truss), you would have to use an axle in Techniq and end up
with a four wide section, it's much easier to model in Meccano. Plus, if
your axle went through a cross shaped hole, you have a resistance to any
torque and your equations would be much harder.

Another simplification is that only one end of structure is fixed, the other
is free to move back and forth (again, this simplifies the equations
immensely without much of a change in the answer). With bricks, you'd need
tiles to properly model that.

Another simplification is that materials are rigid and do not deform.
Deformations change your structure and make your equations much more
difficult. Again, Meccano should be better than ABS here.

Finally, Techniq is too limiting geometrically. There are configurations
that are hard to pull off (ie. a seven cylinger rotary airplane engine) in
TEchniq that can be more easily modeled in Meccano.

Hope this clarifies things,

George

Thanks George,

I agree with much of this and am glad someone has taken the opposite view.
BUT...

From the context of the original letter I think the author is referring to
education well below undergraduate level where analysis will not be used in
such depth and the issues of fixity are therefore not relevant.  I agree
with what Jason Railton said in his post about the way in which children are
taught and I still believe Lego is better for this application.

Do you think I ought not to send the letter or do you have any changes you
would suggest?

Psi