 Local / United Kingdom / 6814
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:02:37 GMT

Simon Bennett wrote:

Dear All

There was a letter in last week's New Civil Engineer which I shall reproduce
for you:

"I support the suggestion made by your correspondent (nCE 7 June) that
Meccano be adopted by schools to assist in the study of construction.
Unfortunately it is my experience that teachers expect children to construct
things using Lego, which although it has some merits, is absolutely hopeless
for modelling structures or demonstrating mechanics."

The writer provided his address so after a few hours to calm down I thought
we might like to respond to this.

What do you think?

My wife used to work for the American Society of Civil Engineers and to
the best of my recollection, that organization is really into using KNEX
for educational purposes.  She did bring in LEGO for a 'play' area for a
bring your kid to work day and it was a pretty good success.  I can ask
her more about the org's construction toy position if anyone is
interested.

-chris