 MediaWatch / 168
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:26:15 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.mediawatch, Santosh Bhat writes:
During my first year of Civil Engineering, we had a project of building a
model bridge using paddlepop sticks (Australian term), i'm not sure what
they're called around the world, but their the wooden sticks you get with
ice creams bought in packets.

In the US we commonly call them Popsicle sticks, but that's actually a case
of trademark dilution, as Popsicle is a trademark for a brand of "paddle
pops". I think there is a generic name but I forget what it is. Note that
these sticks are narrower than tongue depressors which you also can get for
use in projects...

Paddle Pop is also a particular Brand as Jonathan has pointed out. I'm not
really sure what a generic term would be? I know other guys have had to
build bridges using balsa wood. The spaghetti usage must only happen at a
lower primary school lelvel, though I never had the pleasure of that..

Although I see merits in using Technic beams and joints as real life
construction models, the problem with these are that they don't represent
true life strenght of materials for weight etc.. Well unless you can afford
to build life size items with ABS plastic ;)

Are you saying that real materials are stronger per unit of mass or weaker??
I sort of would have expected steel to be stronger!

Per unit of mass perhaps. A beam made of ABS plastic would be a lot lighter
than a similar sized beam of steel. AS for which would be stronger, I'm not
really sure. I suppose that Steel would indeed be stronger. Whats cheaper?
thats pretty obvious that one..besides I don't know if Billund has the moulds.

Santosh

And I'm sure if the moulds did exist, the parts would never be available
here. (Sorry just had to put in the whinge for consistency) ;)