 Technic / 5414
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:34:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:

allowing a valid comparison. I think there is something else though, a mindset,
something wired in my head - I can look at a random pile of Lego and almost
literally see diggers, bridges, houses, trains, ships, fairground rides, death
traps, you name it, but I look at a pile of meccano, znap or knex and all I >see is a pile of metal and plastic

Death traps? Ever had your wiring checked? :-) only joking.

I once saw a Sabre jet crafted in Meccano. It was very well done, especially
hard as it's not cylindrical along it's lenght, but tapers toward the tail.
Must have required some neat sheet metal work though.

I think the worst aspect of Meccano is doing up those nuts, especially when
you have to put one spanner on the bolt to prevent rotation and another
spanner on the nut leaving no hands free to hold on with. The Meccano I was
using also suffered from spanners that were hard to get on the nuts due to
the tolerances. Also some of the nuts we're tight on the bolts and therefore
hard to tighten.

Meccano is the best of course when it comes to one dimensional curves
especially with the plastic panels, but on the visual side it's rubbish with
all those exposed bolt heads.

From time to time you here of old men, Meccano enthusiasts who can't stand
it if you even mention the word Lego. I'd love the oppertunity of showing
them Jen's or Dennis Bosman's models. They'ed probably expire, if they
survived the shock I'd love to see them eat their words about the
'superiority of Meccano'.

Steve