 Technic / 5457
Re: New Civil Engineer letter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:55:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Alex Farlie writes:

Additonaly thier is the fact that in many cases Lego parts are over engineered!

Well after recently observing a diff case bend under heavy loading, I'm
inclined to disagree. I'd say most Technic parts are engineered to just the
right standard to withstand normal usage and loadings.

As regards the diff case, it was the rectangular part supporting the pin
that holds the middle of the three interior gears that twisted. The pin was
the part through which the bending load was exerted. I'm happy to say the
part returned to it's correct shape afterwards. I think two strenghtening
ribs added to the design would prevent it happening in future. In my case a
transmission redesign prevented a recurrance.

Lego(R) bricks also (In my view) encourage the use of modular soloutions

Agree

a teaam approach.

Disagree

Members of lugnet are about as seperated as you can get :-). I don't see how
lego can imbue a need for teamwork on it's own, I think the nature of how
classes are organised is what leads to a need for working in a group but I'm
willing to be proven otherwise :-).

Steve